Who am I?
My name is Bruce McKenzie. I'm a software guy, both as an engineer and as a manager. I enjoy the tech side of things but I understand that most things rely on people, so effective communication it critical.
I live in Murrieta, California, which is southeast of Los Angeles.
I can be emailed at email@example.com .
What Draws Me to the SM
I think of the SM as the Concorde of Automobiles. (I've seen that written somewhere but I have been using it before that). It's the pinnacle of non-computer technology, and solves every problem in a unique way. Most of them work, too. I mourn that the SM didn't get the lifespan (and consequent development) that other cars got, so that we can only guess where it might have gone.
I love the look of the car, and I love the driving feel.
I purchased my white SM off of eBay in 2001. It's a 73. Donn Garriott and Peter Koine checked it out and pronounced it "decent for the price" ($6000). I replaced a few things and loved driving it.
After a while I noticed a major oil leak in the vicinity of the intermediate shaft. So I asked Peter to check it out. He and <mumble> took it out for a drive, and remarked how strong the engine felt. Then they dropped the pan to check the status of the chain. They were horrified to find chunks of piston in the oil pan. Putting a few things together, it appears that the mechanic of the previous owner tried to start it after a few years idle. That broke #5 piston, but in a non-fatal way.
So this project (the rebuild) has been in progress for several years. It's finally rolling again...just as I found a Euro SM in unknown condition.
It's a 1972 with a nice body, but I haven't gotten into the engine yet. It has not been started for years. I've named it "The Black Queen" (as in "garage queen") to go with the White Queen (above).
- Had a Trihawk for 15 years
- Had a Mehari for a few years
- Had and loved a 1973 Saab Sonett III [] for years
- My previous project car is a 1970 Saab 96, which I'm converting to EFI using Megasquirt []
- 1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo for going fast.
- 1995 Range Rover County for going anywhere.
- Aston Marting DB9
- Aston Martin Lagonda
- McLaren F1
- (another) Saab Sonett III
- A Woodie
- I've run a MythTV [] system for years. It's fabulous, and will change the way you view your TV.
- I run Gentoo [] and Xen [] at home.
- I currently work at St. Bernard Software [] as a Sr. Development Manager.
- (The usual other interests -- books, F1, Wii, the best kids and wife in the world)
- A great person I am honored to call a friend: http://www.geraldmweinberg.com/Site/Home.html
Other Links (Potential SM Modifications)
- http://www.julianos.com/index.html -- Non-vacuum cruise control, replacement seat belts.
- http://www.accusump.com -- pre-oiler
- http://visionhotrod.com/ -- very nice external mirrors
Things to do
- Oil cooler hoses with disconnects
- remote/bypass oil filter (AMSOil)
Pages (Topics) I Want
- Resin Wheels
- Tire Selection
- Auto Trans gear conversion
- Window switch relay addition
- What to do when you get your car home
- Engine Specs
- Camshafts (pictures of marks, and specs)
- (pages from other sites)
- White Queen, Black Queen pages
- Wiki/Site FAQ
- Gear ratios
- Color photos
- leather replacing
- st wheel repair
- changes between years
- repair of height correctors
- sphere crossover
Notes on Parts
(for use in a table)
- factory-approved/recommended substitutions
- straight repro of original part
- "improved" repro of original part
- straight ("on-label") cross-ref
- apparently equivalent (not a labelled cross-ref but it is close enough)
- can be used, perhaps with slight mod
- different application, but improved part, perhaps with mod
<googlemap version="0.9" controls="large" scrollwheel="zoom" type="map" lat="36.633162" lon="-119.025879" zoom="6">
(O) 33.53266, -117.18086, Brucem User:Brucem firstname.lastname@example.org (S) 34.431435, -118.584814, SM World SM World 25603 Avenue Stanford Santa Clarita, CA (S) 51.956322, 6.292995, Citrosars Citrosars Industriestraat 17, 7005 Doetinchem, Gelderland (P) 40.23061, -76.99263, Brad Nauss Automotive Brad Nauss Automotive 30 A West Allen Street Mechanicsburg, PA 17055 </googlemap>
Don't forget CERT and Toastmasters!