Rebuilding An Engine
From Citroen SM Wiki
See also Engine
Things to do
- New chains!
- Grease main oil galley O ring to timing cover
- Clean Out Oil Feed Restrictors in Heads, one for each cam, 5 holes in each
- clean out restrictors to front & rear bearings of the inter shaft, and one for each camshaft.
- Replace half moons.
Modifications to Make
- curved primary chain tensioner (See Primary Chain Tensioner)
- Oil Pump Driveshaft
- Drill 0.5mm oil spray hole onto primary chain. (See Primary Chain Oil Spray)
- Oil Pickup Modification
- I've heard that Jerry Hathaway recommends removing a mil or so from the connecting rod big ends to improve crush on the bearings. Brucem 19:48, 23 July 2008 (EDT)
- John Titus has demonstrated the feasibility of using main bearings from a Ford 400M engine in place of the expensive ($400 ++) Vandervell main bearings. The bearings fit the SM crankshaft out of the box. The block must be line bored to 3.1922/3.1930 inches to accept the Ford bearings. No other modifications are required. Ford bearings are available in STD .010, .020, and .030 oversize. Be sure to use FULL GROOVE bearings (Clevite MS981P or equivalent).
- Where to Buy Parts
- A pleasant video from SM World on priming and starting a freshly rebuilt engine: