Rebuilding An Engine
From Citroen SM Wiki
See also Engine
Things to do
- New chains!
- Fit solid exhaust valves.
- Grease main oil galley O ring to timing cover
- Clean Out Oil Feed Restrictors in Heads, one for each cam, 5 holes in each
- clean out restrictors to front & rear bearings of the inter shaft.
- Replace half moon seals at end of camshafts in head.
Modifications to Make
- curved primary chain tensioner (See Primary Chain Tensioner)
- Oil Pump Driveshaft
- Drill 0.5mm oil spray hole onto primary chain. (See Primary Chain Oil Spray)
- Oil Pickup Modification
- I've heard that Jerry Hathaway recommends removing a mil or so from the connecting rod big ends to improve crush on the bearings. Brucem 19:48, 23 July 2008 (EDT)
- John Titus has demonstrated the feasibility of using main bearings from a Ford V8 engine in place of the expensive ($400 ++) Vandervell main bearings. The bearings fit the SM crankshaft out of the box. The block must be line bored to accept the Ford bearings. No other modifications are required.
- Where to Buy Parts
- A pleasant video from SM World on priming and starting a freshly rebuilt engine: