Pumping Up Hydraulics
From Citroen SM Wiki
If you can't (or don't want to) start your engine, but want to use the hydraulics, what do you do?
- Be extremely careful with this....
- Use a 1/2" electric drill or air driver (not impact wrench)
- Make an intermediate pulley with two sheaves to gear down the drill. Use a 1/2" rod with bearing or pillow block.
- Hand-tension is sufficient between drill and pulley, and pulley and pump
- Use long enough belts to reach the side of the car.
- Be extremely careful -- wear leather gloves, at least on the hand holding the intermediate pulley.
- Consider an old starter motor with a pulley mounted on the end.
- Spin until the regulator cuts out and lets the pump freewheel.