Assessing and Inspecting
From Citroen SM Wiki
What are the appropriate things to check before or after purchasing an SM in order to assess its state, safety, and immediate needs?
See also Danger
- Does engine move freely?
- Remove plugs
- Engage fourth gear
- Can car move?
- If on a ramp, you can turn the engine with a screwdriver against the starter ring.
- Exhaust valves
- If possible, do not start it until checking that they are not sodium filled.
- Fuel lines
- They crack and spray gasoline all over
- SM cars normally get cosmetically bad before major structural rust is a danger. As the car is easy to inspect when on a ramp, it is not difficult to assess the car.
- Primary Chain Tensioner
- Drop the oil pan to check position of tensioner, and presence or absence of curved static tensioner. See also below.
- Secondary Chains
- As a quick check, rev the engine gently to 3000 RPM, and let it idle. If you hear a chain noise as the engine accelerates & slows down, then you have chain work to do. A SM engine in good condition has NO MECHANICAL NOISES AT ALL.