Rebuilding An Engine
From Citroen SM Wiki
See also Engine
Things to do
- Download the Citroen rebuild data sheets
- New chains!
- Fit solid exhaust valves. * See Sodium Filled Valves
- Fit the Curved Fixed Limiter
- Grease main oil galley O ring to timing cover
- Clean Out Oil Feed Restrictors in Heads, one for each cam, 5 holes in each
- Clean out oil restrictors at front & rear bearings of the intermediate shaft (same as above).
- Replace half moon seals at end of camshafts in head.
Modifications to Make
- curved primary chain tensioner (See Primary Chain Tensioner)
- Oil Pump Driveshaft and spacer
- Drill 0.5mm oil spray hole onto primary chain. (See Primary Chain Oil Spray)
- Machine main oil galley to match engine block.
- Oil Pickup Modification
- John Titus has demonstrated the feasibility of using main bearings from a Ford V8 (351M/400M) engine in place of the expensive ($800 ++) Vandervell main bearings. The bearings fit the SM crankshaft out of the box. The block must be line bored to accept the Ford bearings. No other modifications are required, but do stamp block to inform rebuilders.
Process for Removing Engine (and not Transmission)
- Remove lower exhaust manifolds/pipes
- Disconnect wires (starter, ignition)
- Remove intake manifold
- Remove the oil pressure sensor.
- Strip the back of the motor to the water pump impeller
- Disconnect the pressure plate from the flywheel, Remove bell housing bolts
- Undo the motor mounts at the frame of the car (w bolts on top, 1 underneath per motor mount)
- With load leveller, back the engine off the transmission shaft, then angle it out and up so it clears the firewall and transmission shaft and bell housing.
- Where to Buy Parts
- A pleasant video from SM World on priming and starting a freshly rebuilt engine: