Aftermarket parts and modifications by John Titus
John Titus is an engineer and has been a citroenthusiast for over 20 years. He specializes in innovative solutions for improving reliability, maintainability and affordability of these fantastic cars.
These are modifications that do not require "Titus" parts, but were engineered by John.
- Coolant Recovery
- Pacseal 601 Water Pump Seal
- Ford Main Bearing Conversion - in collaboration with Mike Oberle - see Rebuilding_An_Engine
Gear Reduction Starter
See Starter for background.
(Photos courtesy of Bob Robinson)
- Power Consumption: 1.4 kW
- Gear train: OSGR (offset gear reduction)
- Mass: 5 Kilos (almost 10 Kilos less than Ducellier 6229 Starter).
- Torque: 160 Ft-lbs (approx.)
- Heat Shield: Included
This starter is based on a modern OSGR design and shares all common wear parts (solenoid, motor, brushes, clutch, gears) with literally millions of starters currently used in Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and Nissan cars and trucks, so the prospect for repair parts being available in the future is very good.
The OSGR design is also much less sensitive to cranking on a low battery (which means fewer ruined armatures than the direct drive Ducellier)
- Cost: $425
- Domestic Shipping within the US is $20 by US Postal Service Priority Mail flat rate box
- International Shipping is $70 by US Postal Service Priority Mail
John also has a version of this starter to fit the 5-Main Bearing Citroen DS/ID (large and small pinion) The replacement starter is smaller, lighter and cranks faster than the original starter.
Pertronix Ignition System
- This system is a complete kit for converting the SEV distributor on the Maserati C114 Engine to a single coil system. It uses a custom CNC machined mounting plate and rotor adapter to mount the Pertonix 1165 module and a Buick odd-fire cap and rotor to the SEV Distributor. (Uses the same $20 cap and $10 rotor as the HEI Ignition system below.)
- Use of a matching 3-Ohm Pertronix Flamethrower Coil is highly recommended. When used with the matching coil, the ignition system is reliable up to 15,000 rpm.
- Price $450 complete with Pertronix 1165 module, cap and rotor.
- Optional matching Pertronix Flamethrower coil $40 (no extra cost for shipping)
- Shipping: $20 Domestic US; $70 International
As with all single-coil solutions, you will need to adjust the potentiometer inside your tachometer (a somewhat fiddly operation), replace a resistor inside the tachometer can, or simply use Andrew Brodie's divide-by-two circuit see Marketplace:Andrew_Brodie to make the tachometer read correctly. This is available under the group files.
HEI Ignition System - With D-Jetronic Triggers for Injection Models
- This system is recommended only if the trigger points for the EFI have failed. It is made from the HEI pickup and reluctor from an Odd-Fire Buick 231 CID engine matched with the cap and rotor from an Odd-Fire Buick 225 CID engine in a custom housing. The HEI system produces a more powerful spark than conventional ignition systems, is cheap to maintain (distributor caps cost about $20, rotors about $10) and has proven reliability over literally millions of miles on GM cars. D-Jetronic trigger function is provided by readily-available dual points from a Honda motorcycle.
- Price $725 complete including cap and rotor - uses drive gear from your distributor)
- Shipping: $20 Domestic US; $70 International
Note that you will need to adjust the potentiometer inside your tachometer (a somewhat fiddly operation) or simply use Andrew Brodie's divide-by-two circuit see Marketplace:Andrew_Brodie to make the tachometer read correctly. This is available under the group files.
Turning Headlight Cable Actuators
- Replaces the troublesome fluidic actuators for the turning headlights on your Citroen SM with maintenance-free cable actuators. Includes all brackets, cables, and fittings necessary for a complete retrofit. (Uses only the original steel pushrod, bell crank and return spring attached to the turning headlight itself - requires 90 degree bend in pushrod to be added). Replicates the original asymmetric headlight swing. Less costly and easier to install than the competing cable actuators AND much easier to adjust - a simple turn of a cable stop located under the hood is all that is necessary. All steel hardware is zinc plated for durability.
- Cost: $350 each
- Shipping: $20 USA; $70 international via USPS Priority Mail
- These are a reproduction, specifically designed to replace the Weber 175 or Weber 200 needle valve in the Weber DCNF carburetor (Citroen SM, Maserati Merak, Maserati Bora, etc.), but will also fit Weber DDE DLE (Citroen DS), Weber IDF (Porsche), Weber DCOE and other Weber carburetors that use an M7x1 threaded needle valve (Weber P/N 79503.xxx, 79511.xxx etc).
- Cost: $20 each
- Shipping: $10.00 USA; $35 international (up to 18 jets) via USPS flat rate envelope
Water Pump Seal Modifications
This is the PacSeal 601 seal modification. See Water pump section for photos. Although you can do it yourself using the drawings I posted, I made a piloted counterbore to do the timing cover so I can knock out modified covers easily. I can provide a kit consisting of a seal and spacer plus a modified timing cover (you must provide the timing cover).
See Titus Modification to Water Pump for details and photos.
- Ring Spacer: $45 made from 303 stainless
- Machine timing cover and install ring spacer $75
- Pacseal 601 seal $20
- Shipping: (depends)